A Visit To The States

January 10, 2022

We decided that a visit with our families and friends was in order for Christmas. It would be hard to leave the 80+ degree weather and travel to wintertime in WA and ID, but we left our anchorage near George Town and sailed the 2 1/2 hours to Emerald Bay Marina. The marina is nice. It is associated with the Sandals resort, has floating docks and they had a slip available!

We had been having strong winds in our anchorage, 20 to 25 knots, and waited for the opportunity to travel the 2 1/2 hours back north to the marina. On Sunday, December 19, we ventured out of Elizabeth Harbor into the Caribbean. We weren’t thrilled with the seas, 4-5 feet, and had a bouncy sail north. The entrance to the marina requires passage between two rock walls, with 90 foot clearance, into the marina basin. At first sight, considering the wind, seas and rocks, there was a little anxiety among the crew. However, with no other options, we headed onward into the calm of the marina basin and headed to our slip. With the help of the marina staff we were secure in our slip and checked in within fifteen minutes.

Because of COVID requirements, we had to obtain a negative test less than 24 hours before flying into the U.S. Thankfully, we were able to get this rapid Antigen test at the Sandals resort, and then enjoy their beautiful beach and beach bar for lunch.

We were able to enjoy Sandal’s Private Beach

The morning of December 21, we jumped into Taxi #12 and headed toward the small airport in George Town. Three hours to Charlotte, five hours and thirty minutes to Seattle and 55 minutes to Pasco. Add in two layovers (one long, one short) and one 45 minute delay and it was 1:00am PST when were ready to collect our luggage. We had reserved a room at the Comfort Inn and Suites near the airport that had shuttle service. A call to the hotel let us know that they did not have shuttle service after 9pm…because of COVID……huh? OK, it’s not that far, we will walk. So we headed out pulling and carrying our luggage. And it was cold. Did I say cold?? It was frigid!! Freezing rain pelted us as we walked the 20 minutes toward the hotel in our tennis shoes and warm weather clothes. By this time it was 1:30am. And we left the Bahamas, why?

George Town’s airport

The next day we were met by cousins Cindi and Rick with their extra car to use for our time in the area. Bless them! So we spent time with family in Lewiston, Clarkston and Tri-Cities.

We had a special treat on Christmas Eve. We were able to go up with our newly licensed granddaughter, Tyler, for a ride in her plane.

Tyler taking her Nan and Pop up in the plane

And on Christmas Day, it snowed and snowed and snowed! We had over 12 inches in Lewiston and another 4 in Tri-Cities after we got there. Bahamas sounded so good!

12 inches in Lewiston!

On our return trip, we stopped for a couple of nights in Fort Lauderdale to spend some time with our son, Chase, and our grandpuppy “Henna”.

Then back to the Bahamas we went! Ahhhhh…..warmth!

Emerald Bay Marina

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *